Skip to content

The Risk In Not Taking The Risk

Melvyn Tan
Melvyn Tan
2 min read
The Risk In Not Taking The Risk

I took a significant amount of risk at three points in my life.

I would then grow exponentially after each time.

But this time it’s different.

Early stage dot-com

2000. A year into my job after graduating with a MBus, I would take the risk and join an early stage dot-com.

Little did I know that in 2011, 9/11 would happen.

Funding stopped. Major client left.

Despite all our efforts, the dot-com went bust.

Painful as it was, I would not want to trade that experience for anything else.

It was then that I learned how to draft a proposal. How to prepare a quotation. How to do cold calling. How to meet with prospects. How to close a sale. How to raise funds. How to lead a team.

Working with schools

2004. After the dot-com went bust, I did what I knew best. Writing business plans for SMB.

It was lucrative. I could make in a month what I used to make in a year.

I would take the risk and move to an entirely new market. Working with schools.

It was tough. Without a track record, you’d get no projects. Without projects, you’d not no track record.

We tried many things. Most failed.

The one that succeeded, helped us grow by 350% in 6 months.

We experienced tremendous success.

60% of all new businesses were through this community we have nurtured, while the remaining 40% were repeat clients.

I wrote about it here.

2016. More than a decade later and having worked with more than 80% of schools in Singapore, I would take the risk.

This time with my family. Going on a one-year travel adventure – 6 months in Europe, 6 months in the US.

While I thought I was taking a risk walking away from the school market, I was in fact preparing myself for a new way to do business.

Which will become evident next.

2020. Reaping my harvest from the work I put in on LinkedIn in 2018.

Then COVID-19 hit.

Had I not embraced a new mindset, learned new skillset, and acquire new toolset, I would be badly hit.

But I’m not.

Like you, I face uncertainties ahead.

Going forward, we must embrace a new mindset, equip ourselves with new skillset, and acquire new toolsets.

This time the risk is forced upon us.

Would you take the risk by not taking the risk?

Melvyn Tan

Despite living the good life at midlife, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. My aim here is to reinvent midlife, learn new skills, and understand how the world works post-COVID.